Planning a Funeral
While Caring Cremation Services is the leader in providing low-cost cremation services to families in Toledo and the surrounding communities of Perrysburg, Rossford, and Maumee, we are also very experienced in helping them to plan and prepare for a funeral or memorial service for a loved one.
If you are planning a funeral, we'd like to start by providing you with the basics features of both a traditional funeral, and a memorial service. It may be easiest to understand the difference by comparing these events to those of a wedding: there are weddings that are very formal, with component parts: a rehearsal dinner, the wedding (officiated by a minister or celebrant), and the reception. Then there are those simpler wedding ceremonies that take place in front of a civil servant, in the company of a select few witnesses or guests.
In a traditional funeral, there can be a visitation or viewing, the funeral ceremony (officiated by a minister or celebrant), and a catered reception following the service. In addition, there may be a committal ceremony held at the cemetery where interment of the cremated remains is planned. Each event is a part of a greater whole, designed not only to pay tribute to the deceased, but to bring friends and family together in mutual bereavement support. A traditional funeral is held prior to the cremation, and the casketed body of the deceased is present for the viewing or visitation, and the funeral ceremony.
Planning for a contemporary memorial service may be less involved, but the goal of the event is the same: to honor the life and memory of the deceased, while bringing together those people left behind. Here's something to consider: choosing our cremation services allows families more time in the planning of a memorial service, which can be held months after the death of a loved one.
Steps in Planning a Funeral or Memorial Service
We know that the loss of a loved one, whether anticipated or actual, leaves everyone involved less than their best. Distracted by sadness, and concerned for the welfare of other family members, you now face the prospects of planning a funeral.
1. Decide on the form of the event which makes the most sense for your family. Is tradition an important consideration? Or would it be better to bring everyone together in a more casual setting? We can help you make this essential decision–just give us a call at 419-377-0359.
2. Determine if you prefer floral tributes or memorial donations. If donations are preferred, we can help you select the appropriate charity.
3. Using our guidelines will help you with writing an obituary for a loved one. This will become part of your loved one's Book of Memories online tribute, and can also (for an additional fee charged by the newspaper) be published in the print publication of your choice.
4. Provide us with a picture of your loved one so that we can add it to their Book of Memories online memorial. Additional pictures can be provided so that we can create a matching tribute video to be shown at the visitation, funeral or memorial service.
5. Select a casket for the viewing or funeral service, or cremation urn to be displayed at the memorial service. If you choose not to display the urn at the memorial service, you may skip this step, as your loved one's cremated remains will be returned to you in a sturdy, tightly sealed plastic box. You can always opt to select a personalized urn from our collection at a later date.
6. Have friends or family members assist you in notifying those you would like to attend. Social media sites like Facebook, offer you an easy way to share the news of your loved one's death and provide the necessary funeral service details of location, date, and time.
7. Allow us to take care of all other necessary details, including the filing of the death certificate and other essential paperwork (which may include those enabling military honors for your loved one). We will also attend to preparations of the additional items you've selected, such as memorial folders, candles, or transportation to the crematory or cemetery.
The Overriding Goal of Caring Cremation Services
It is our sole intention to serve your family in the ways we would wish to be served. Our experience and compassion, coupled with our affordable cremation services, make us the first choice for many Toledo area residents. We invite you to call us at 419-377-0359 and let us prove our worth. We are confident you will not be disappointed.